Monday, February 16, 2009

Everything is better with Guinness


I know, I know. I never write. I never call. I never post. I would blame it on my job (the end of and be all of excuses for all of the things I don't do), but I'm not quite as busy now that the sky has fallen on the economy. I have the opportunities and sometimes the camera handy for things to blog. But I'm lazy.

But now its 2 am after flying back from Vegas, a flight I slept through making up for the little sleep this weekend. And the last three nights I was up late. As in super late, i.e. early morning. So I'm wide awake. I've unpacked and everything. So I'm finally blogging... about the cake I made for the Superbowl.

One of my co-workers introduced me to the Smitten Kitchen blog, which I have quickly become obsessed with, and on it I found a chocolate ganached cake made with Guinness that I desperately had to have an excuse to make because chocolate +Guinness = awesome. So desperate and
figuring no one turns away someone bringing cake, I decided to crash Ivette's friend Superbowl party (and you all know how much I just LOVE football) just to make it for somebody other than myself. Drinking by myself, no problem; making a cake just for myself, sad.



It was super easy to make and really quick....I managed to do it quite hungover from a wedding day before....and more importantly it turned out amazing. It was moist, and filled with chocolate goodness that everyone loved. The recipe can be found here (I'm just strangely awake, not any less lazy).





4 comments:

Karen said...

WOW, that is a good-lookin cake! I'm also a smitten kitchen reader, but haven't actually cooked anything from it yet. I just finished reading her latest "thick, chewy oatmeal raisin cookies" post and was thinking about making that. Then clicked over here and hey, more smitten kitchen goodness! Mmm. I made brownies from a mix for the superbowl. You put me to shame, Mel! Can I come to your party next time?

Mel said...

I'm actually having a ladies Oscar party Sunday and making lots of goodies...feel free to hop on a plane and join! Sad we all don't live in the same city!

Van Nguyen said...

Cake looks fantastic! But be forewarned (and for a future post), not everything is better with chocolate. =)

Mel said...

Waiting for those pictures....